Where ever I am, I need a cup of coffee in the morning. This is especially true when I’m traveling. But drinking coffee is more than the caffeine fix, it’s the experience of discovering a new cafe, relaxing in a cool atmosphere, or having a great conversation with friends. It can sometimes be difficult to find the right coffee shop when visiting a new city. So, whether you’re visiting San Antonio for the first time, are a frequent visitor, or if you live here and looking for a new spot to get your caffeine fix, look no further than this list of some of the best spots for coffee in San Antonio!
San Antonio is a large, spread-out city. It’s difficult to get around without a car and can take anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour to get from one side of the city to the other, depending on the time of day. So, if you’re staying Downtown, grabbing a cup of coffee at La Tazza on the Northside would not be very sensible. You need a coffee shop nearby. That is why this list is organized by neighborhoods/areas of San Antonio. Starting on the Southside, following U.S. Route 281 to the Northside.
This is NOT a rating but just a numbered list to help keep things organized.
South Town – King William District
(1) Halcyon Coffee Bar & Lounge
- Address: 1414 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78210
- Hours: Mon – Fri 7 am – 2 am, Sat- Sun 8 am – 2 am
- Website: http://halcyoncoffeebar.com
Grab a coffee to go and take a stroll along the River Walk. If you visit Stella Public House (a pizza restaurant and bar), it serves coffee from Halcyon. The two restaurants are connected by a door.
(2) Brown Coffee & Co.
- Address: 812 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78205
- Hours: Mon-Fri 7 am – 7 pm, Sat-Sun 8 am – 7 pm
- Website: http://browncoffeeco.com
- There is a second location on Broadway.
What started as a pop-up, now has a permanent home next to the Steel City Pops. On a hot day you can grab a ice pop (or ice cream pop) after getting your caffeine fix! There is a small parking lot here, too, which I always appreciate!
This area of town grew quickly, with restaurants popping up on every street and houses being renovated left and right. It’s a trendy part of town with lots to see and places to go. All of this means that it is a nightmare to find a parking spot. You’ll likely have to park in the neighborhoods and a few blocks from your destination.
There is a parking lot at the Blue Star Complex, where Halcyon Coffee is located, but its usually full. Consider taking a ride share like Uber or Lyft if you’re visiting this part of town.
If you aren’t a coffee drinker, or if you’re traveling with a tea drinker – check out Madhatters Tea House & Cafe. There is usually a wait, but its a unique cafe.
(3) Poetic Republic Coffee Co.
- Address: 2330 S Presa St., San Antonio, Texas
- Hours: Tues-Thurs 7 am – 3 pm, Fri 7 am – 6 pm, Sat 8 am – 6 pm, Sun 8 am – 3 pm, Closed on Mondays
- Website: https://www.poeticrepubliccoffee.com/
A new coffee shop on the edge of Southtown, Poetic Republic is an adorable small coffee shop perfect for meeting a friend or getting some work done. Pastries are also available. There is street parking in front of the shop.
(4) Folklores Coffee House
- Address: 5009 S Flores St, San Antonio, TX 78214
Further south, near Mission San Jose, is the Folklores Coffee House.
(5) Gold Coffee Company
- Address: 1913 S Flores St, San Antonio, TX 78204
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 6:30 am – 3:00 pm , Sat. 7 am – 3:00 pm, Closed Sundays
- Parking: There are a few spaces out front
In a growing area of San Antonio, this newly opened coffee shop will surely become popular. There is no menu, just a conversation with a barista. I asked for a mocha and was offered three versions: dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or peppermint mocha. The syrups are made by Gold. I chose peppermint, because I visited in the winter and that sounded perfect.
Downtown San Antonio
(6) Commonwealth Coffeehouse & Bakery
- Address: 611 Hemisfair Boulevard, San Antonio, TX 78205
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 7 am – 6 pm, Sat.-Sun. 7 am – 3 pm
- More Locations: 118 Davis Ct, San Antonio, TX 78209; 224 W Evergreen St, San Antonio, TX 78212; 112 E Pecan St, San Antonio, TX 78205; 106 Jefferson, San Antonio, TX 78205; 8811 Village Dr, San Antonio, TX 78217; 502 Madison Oak Dr #180, San Antonio, TX 78258
- Parking for Hemisphere Park:
- Website: http://commonwealthcoffeehouse.com/
(7) Sip Brew Bar & Eatery
- Address: 160 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205
- Hours: Mon.-Sat. 7 am – 6 pm, Sun. 8 am – 3 pm
- Website: n/a
Within walking distance from the San Antonio River and the Alamo, this small coffee shop offers solitude from crowds while remaining close enough to tourist attractions. You may be tempted by the Starbucks across the street, but this place has a fun, unique style and food options that you won’t find at the big chain.
(8) Estate Coffee Company
- Address: 1320 E Houston St A101, San Antonio, TX 78205
- Hours: Monday – Friday, 7am – 6pm; Saturday, 8am – 4pm; Sunday, 9am – 3pm
- Website: https://www.estatecoffeecompany.com/
- There are a few parking spots directly in front of the coffee shop, but if you can’t snag these, there is currently an empty lot next door where you can park.
(9) Rosella at the Rand
- Address: 114 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205
- Hours: Mon-Thurs 7 am-10 pm, Fri 7 am-12 am, Sat 9 am-12 am, Sun 10 am-3 pm
- Website: http://www.rosellacoffee.com/
- The second location for Rosella Coffee is near The Pearl. Both locations offer real food, not just muffins and croissants. Also, each location has a different aesthetic so its worth going to both! The downtown location is upscale, trendy, and bright with cool seating options. (There’s another location in the Botanical Gardens, too!)
- Address: 606 W French Pl, San Antonio, TX 78212
- North of Downtown, but West of St. Mary’s Stip, I decided to group this with the downtown area of San Antonio
- Hours: Mon. – Sat. 7 am – 6 pm, Sun. 8 am – 6 pm
- Website: https://www.philocoffeesa.com/
Pronounced “philosophy”, this coffee shop inside what looks like a small home, is a cozy spot for a cup of coffee. It’s nearby the Public Theatre (aka The Playhouse) and San Pedro Springs Park, making it a great spot to stop before a play or visiting the park.
The Pearl is a mixed-use space offering retail, living, dining, and outdoor experiences. It gets its name from the old Pearl Brewery, which is now home to the world renowned Hotel Emma. All of the coffee shops are located within this 22-acre site. For more information about The Pearl, check out its website.
(11) Local Coffee
- Website: https://meritcoffee.com/
- Local Coffee has several locations in San Antonio: 700 E Sonterra Blvd #1113, San Antonio, TX 78258; 24175 I-10 #110, San Antonio, TX 78257 (Leon Springs); 4115 Pond hill Ln Suite 101, San Antonio, TX 78231; 7338 Louis Pasteur Dr #204, San Antonio, TX 78229
Local Coffee has become a San Antonio staple. Its industrial, modern decor and simple menu make it popular among coffee lovers who want a no frills, good cup of coffee (or latte art). If you like iced coffee, they use a dispenser that is ingenious. I want one in my kitchen. Go check it out! A lot of people also like the small ice used in the Local’s iced drinks.
(12) Bakery Loraine
- Website: https://www.bakerylorraine.com/
- A second location recently opened at The Rim Shopping Center: 17503 La Cantera Pkwy. #108
If you want delicious pastries and desserts, this is the place to go at the Pearl. This coffee shop also offers soups, salads, and sandwiches for those wanting a light breakfast or lunch. The outdoor seating is just as nice as indoors, too.
- Connected to the Hotel Emma. Entry through the hotel bar or outside entry in the alley near the Pearl Park.
- Website: http://www.larderatemma.com/
This coffee shop and upscale grocery store is another option inside the Pearl for getting a cup of a coffee. It’s also a great excuse to explore the bar and lobby of Hotel Emma! If Local Coffee is too busy, Larder sells the same beans, so this is a great alternative.
There is another coffee shop just a short, enjoyable walk south along the Riverwalk from The Pearl:
(14) Rosella Coffee Company
- Address: 203 E Jones Ave #101, San Antonio, TX 78215
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:00 am- 9:00 pm; Friday-Saturday 7:00 am- 10:00 pm; Sunday 8:00 am- 6:00 pm
- Website: http://www.rosellacoffee.com/
While you’re visiting this contemporary coffee shop, check out a cool mural across the street. You’ll find it on my San Antonio Murals post (coming soon!). Like its other location downtown, this coffee shop offers a breakfast and lunch menu. It’s less glamorous and more modern, making it a popular place for meetings with clients or for individuals to get work done on their laptops. But with seating upstairs and downtairs available, there is always space for those just wanting a quick cup of coffee.
Note: There is plenty of parking available at The Pearl, unless there is an event like the Farmer’s Market on the weekends or First Thursdays. A parking lot is located under the freeway, off of Ave A, and a parking garage is located within the Pearl at Isleta and Emma Koehler Street. Another parking lot is off of Isleta, in front of La Gloria. Overflow parking is located on the other side of the River, off of E. Elmira Street. For more information getting to The Pearl, click here.
There is a small amount of parking spaces at Rosella Coffee Company, and you may need to park near the apartments down the street or in the San Antonio Museum of Art’s parking lot.
Broadway & Alamo Heights
(15) Local Coffee
- Address: 5903 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Hours: Mon. – Fri. 6:30 am – 9 pm, Sat. 7 am – 9 pm, Sun. 7 am – 6 pm
- Website: https://meritcoffee.com
- Local Coffee has three locations in San Antonio: The Pearl, Broadway, and Stone Oak on the Northside. Each has a slightly different vibe while maintaining consistent modern, industrial style. My favorite thing about Local Coffee is it was one of the first places in San Antonio where you could get latte art!
(16) Brown Coffee
- Address: 1800 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78215
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm; Saturday-Sunday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Brown Coffee has two locations: on Broadway near The Pearl and in Southtown
(17) Commonwealth Coffeehouse & Bakery
- Address: 118 Davis Ct, San Antonio, TX 78209
- More Locations: 224 W Evergreen St, San Antonio, TX 78212; 112 E Pecan St, San Antonio, TX 78205; Hemisphere Park; 106 Jefferson, San Antonio, TX 78205; 8811 Village Dr, San Antonio, TX 78217; 502 Madison Oak Dr #180, San Antonio, TX 78258
- Parking for the Pecan Street location is behind the coffee shop, off of Hildebrand.
- Website: http://commonwealthcoffeehouse.com/
This coffee shop is cute both inside at out. With outdoor seating on a front patio and in the back in a little garden, this is the perfect place to relax with a cup of coffee and pastry. But CommonWealth isn’t limited to pastries, there’s a food menu as well!
(18) Press Coffee
- Address: 4035 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Hours: Monday – Thursday 6:30 am – 8:00 pm; Friday 6:30 am – 9:00 pm; Saturday 7:30 am – 9:00 pm; Sunday 7:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Website: https://presscoffeesa.com/
- Press is one of my favorite coffee spots. It’s located inside what looks like a greenhouse. The decor and abundance of natural light are perfect for enjoying a great cup of coffee or latte.
(19) Berry to Bean
- Address: 3900 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX
- Hours: 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- A great location for sitting down with a laptop to get some work done while enjoying coffee. The small parking lot is between the Ihop and Chipotle.
St. Mary’s Strip
(20) Candlelight Coffeehouse
- Address: 3011 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78212
- Hours: Tues.-Fri. 4 pm – 11 pm, Sat. 10 am – 11 pm, Sun. 10 am – 2 pm, Closed Mondays
- Website: https://www.candlelightsatx.com
If you’re in need for an afternoon pick me up or a meal, this is just the place. It’s cozy atmosphere makes it an ideal date night location, too.
(21) Summer Moon Coffee Bar
- Address: 3233 N St Mary’s St #102, San Antonio, TX 78212
- There is another location on the far west side at 11831 Culebra Rd #106
- Hours: Mon-Fri 6 am – 8 pm, Sat.-Sun. 7 am – 6 pm
- Website: http://woodfiredcoffee.com/
This coffee shop shares a building with the TriPoint ministry event center so there is plenty of parking space. The shop opens up to the TriPoint center so it can be a little noisy if you need concentration. It’s frequented by lots of study groups or people meeting to discuss projects.
(22) Olmos Perk
- Address: 5223 McCullough Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212
- Hours: Tues.-Fri. 7 am – 4 pm, Sat.-Sun. 8 am – 4 pm, Closed Mondays
- Website: N/A
I love the variety of seating options and art in this coffee shops. The couches are perfect for cozy meet ups, tables are great for meetings, and the back of the shop offers cubicles for individual working spaces. The owners are very sweet, too, which is a bonus.
Olmos Park shopping center has a lot more bar options than coffee, but its a unique area of San Antonio. Some of the shops and bars are located inside train cars.
Stone Oak & Northside
(23) Local Coffee
- Address: 700 E Sonterra Blvd #1113, San Antonio, TX 78258
- North of 1604, near the 281 interchange
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 6 am – 8 pm, Sat.-Sun. 7 am – 8pm
- Website: https://meritcoffee.com/
Like most Local Coffee’s, this is a popular spot for people to hang out or to get work done. Parking is usually packed in front of the shop, but there’s additional parking in this shopping center.
(24) What’s Brewing Coffee Co.
- Address: 138 W Rhapsody Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216
- Hours: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm Monday-Saturday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Sundays
- Website: https://www.sacoffeeroasters.com/
This coffee shop, a bit off the beaten track, is a a great spot to grab coffee with a friend or to buy whole bean coffee. There is a counter for purchasing beans and another for purchasing cups of coffee or lattes. You can sit near the large windows and look out onto the warehouse side of the coffee shop, where they roast their beans. Or you can play pinball on one of their many machines!
(25) La Taza Java Coffee House
- Address: 15060 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio, TX 78232
- South of 1604 along hwy 281
- Hours: Tues.- Fri. 7 am – 3 pm, Sat. 8 am – 3 pm, Closed Sundays and Mondays
- Website: N/A
This coffee shop has a mom & pop feel to it with its variety of seating, board games, and art on the walls. It’s a great neighborhood cafe, perfect for getting work done or for meeting with friends.
(26) Indy Coffee Club
- Address: 7114 UTSA Boulevard #103, San Antonio, TX 78249
- Located near 1604 and I-10 on the NW side
- Hours: Mon.-Sun. 8 am – 8 pm (Brunch on the weekends from 9 am – 1 pm)
- Website: https://www.indycoffeeco.com/
This place was popular on Sunday morning during brunch service. The atmosphere inside was very chill. My friend came with me and had the yogurt, which she highly recommends.
As I find new coffee shops, I’ll add them to the list!
Did I miss your favorite coffee shop in San Antonio? Let me know in the comments!